Wednesday, July 31, 2024

Day Seventy-One to Eighty-Seven - A Summer of Bluegrass, Camping and Friends - Sunday 7/07/2024 - Tuesday 7/23/2024

It's Sunday, July 7th. It is my 189th walk of 2024. I enjoyed my final walk at Darien Lakes State Park. I stayed off the wet grass and on the paved roads in the park, enjoyed my talk with God and my me time.


Everyone is departing today. Rob was ready to get home, so Rob, Sheila and Markey were the first to go! Next was Dawn & Dana with Walter. Next was Royce & Karen, followed by us. We had to be out by 11 am. We met Royce & Karen at the dump station about that time. We were lucky, there was no one there, besides them. We pulled right in! However, after we hooked up the tow car, the line for the dump station was up into the camping loops!


We arrived at "Cadyville Campground" to site 1A. It's the best site on the property! Some might say the spot tucked into the woods in better, but we will disagree! Before we could even finish setting up, we had visitors!

The Pease People showed up! It's been a couple years since we have seen them! We did not come to NY in 2023 and we did not connect with them while they were in FL either. It was great to spend some time visiting with them. Of course our camp host showed up and stole Mr. Pease for a job! 

A relaxing evening at our home for the next 18 days.

It's Monday July 8th and my 190th walk of 2024. I enjoyed my first walk back in 14487. For those from the area, my 4-mile square is Cadyville to Federal to Big Tree to Shelly back to Cadyville. It was an early walk, as I had a blood draw at the Bath VA. My VA doctor in Tampa wanted follow-up labs and she arranged for me to have them drawn while we ate on the road.

The Bath VA Medical Center was originally established in 1877 as the New York State Soldiers and Sailors Home. The Grand Army of the Republic built the original hospital, which was then transferred to the state in 1878 and expanded. In 1879 the facility housed disabled Civil War veterans, as well as becoming a geriatric facility. 
In 1907, the facility reached a peak population of 2,143, but by 1928, that number had dropped to 192 due to deaths and aging. In 1929, New York State sold the facility to the National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers Board of Managers, and it became known as the Bath Branch. In 1930, the Bath Branch and its associated cemetery became part of the Veterans Administration Medical Center. In 1973, the cemetery became part of the National Cemetery System after 82 national cemeteries were transferred from the Department of Army to the VA. Charlie's Dad and Mom are buried here.

After my appointment we stopped to see Donny & Donna in Cohocton. It's been two summers since we have been to their place in NY.

On our way back to Livonia we stopped and took a tour of the Hemlock Fairgrounds. Charlie and I volunteered at this fair for 25-years. There was a time where we camped at the fairgrounds all summer working the grounds.

The Hemlock Fairgrounds is a national historic district. The fairgrounds covers 35 acres. There are five contributing buildings and one contributing object that make up the historic district. The grandstand (constructed 1870) and the race track are two of the components of the historic district. The track is still used annually for the Sire Stakes on the first day of the fair.

It's Tuesday July 9th and its my 191st walk of 2024. I enjoyed my walk and positive affirmations. Lyn Swift passed me on Shelly Road and hollered good morning! The doe said hello from the winter wheat field across from our campsite too.

We did some laundry today in Geneseo. While we were in Geneseo, I did some shopping at Wegmans.

When we returned back to the camper, we had a visit from Meg & Floyd. 

We went to Honeoye Central School tonight to watch Connor in his baseball game. He played first base, just like his sister! You can tell that hockey is his first love and baseball just fills in the time in the summer. I guess you can't be on the ice all year long! 

On Wednesday July 10th it was a cooler 69° for my 192nd walk of 2024. I enjoyed my walk and positive affirmations. Charlie woke me up at 5:15 AM to finish the Jimmy Wingate 60th birthday surprise. So I stayed up and got my walk done between the rain bands from remnants of Beryl!

We wanted to do something special for Jimmy's 60th birthday. He is a helpful and caring friend and would give anyone the shirt off his back. We hung balloons on his driveway art and truck. Before he left for the farm, he took them all inside. It is never about him. But, he did enjoy the whiskey we got him!


After mowing the grass, Charlie was thirsty and a trip to No BS Brew Company was in order. 


The B and the S behind No BS Brew Company are Benjamin and Steve. No BS Brew Company is a brewer of craft beer with two locations. Their manufacturing facility, complete with a tasting room and beer garden is located near the North End of Conesus Lake. Their 
newest tasting room is located in the beautiful village of Victor, NY. We enjoyed our beers and seltzers at the Livonia location. They all have pizza that I have fallen in love with!


On Thursday July 11th, it was a beautiful 67° and my 193rd walk of 2024. My body and mind needed a good workout this morning, so I pushed my walk hard.

We had a leisurely day and met a friend that Charlie worked with and we have a mutual friend in Randy Fitzsimmons. IT has probably been 25-years or more, since we have seen Earl Milliken. We have stayed in touch on Facebook, but I almost did not recognize him!


We met Randy, Sheila & Earl at the Avondale Pub on the circle in Avon. The Avondale Pub offers American pub fare, daily homemade specials, homemade dressings, wing sauces, soups and half pound hand pressed burgers! We joke, it's Randy & Sheila's second home! They are regulars. I enjoyed a daily special of shrimp salad. It was delicious! Can you believe that I forgot to get a picture of this group?!

On Friday July 12th it was 68° and sunny for my 194th walk of 2024. I spent time on my walk reevaluating my daily positive affirmations. It's time to add to my daily focus. 
Everyday I pass this golf course on the back 9 and on the front 9. Established in 1989, Old Hickory Golf Club is located in this beautiful Finger Lakes region of Upstate NY.

It was the perfect day to unhook and take the RV to the local park that has a free dump station. When we returned to our semi-private "Cadyville Camp" we washed the rig while the slides were pulled in.

There has been a push to get all the winter wheat combined before the Hemlock Fair starts in 5 more days. Charlie helps Chris and Jimmy and shuttles them to various locations in the pick-up truck. He is kind of the farm's Uber. The combine that they use to separate the wheat from its stalk takes up both lanes on the rural road we are on.

Charlie and I enjoyed a true NY style Haddock fish fry dinner at Leisure's. We used to spend every morning there with many of our Hemlock Fair friends. Several of them are gone now, but we are getting together with a few of them next week.

On Saturday morning July 13th, it was 69° for my 195th walk of 2024. I believe there is no such thing as a coincidence. When I started my walk, the first song on my music shuffle this morning was 'Breaking Boundaries.' Just what I needed to hear. I think this deer wanted to listen to the music too!

This afternoon we are heading to Chili - Spencerport American Legion Post 1830 to see old friends! Since 1972, this American Legion Post has been welcoming VETERANS from all branches of the Armed Forces. They continue to welcome all military personnel serving our country.

The 134th Maintenance Company, the largest National Guard unit from Rochester NY to deploy in support of Desert Storm. After this deployment, Charlie and I went to different units. July 3, 1991 was the last time we have seen some of these soldiers.


This quilt was made while we were deployed to the Middle East. It is a reminder of all the love that our families and friends have for us. It also serves as a reminder of the soldiers we have lost since our deployment.

Here is my favorite picture from our deployment. All four of us were just young officers! Tony, was a Captain, and Stephanie, Bill and I were Lieutenants. Stephanie was the only one of these three people we got to see at the reunion. Ans I forgot to get a picture of the two of us! Our homecoming from our deployment was epic! The community turned out in mass to welcome us home. With an estimated crowd of about 3,000 people gathered inside and outside the Culver Road Armory. As the convoy of buses approached, the crowd erupted in cheers and waved from overpasses. 


The 98th Division band and the soldiers from the 134th Maintenance Company marched onto the drill floor of the Culver Road Armory, finally coming home after seven and a half months away from home. 

It was at the Armory, that my mother had my engagement ring and I was able to replace the O-ring that I wore on my left hand with the diamond Charlie had purchased in Fort Dix. 

At our reunion today, we got to see Billie Betts again. She is the one who helped Charlie pull off the best marriage proposal that a girls could get!


It was a great afternoon of seeing members of the old 134th Maintenance Company. It's been more than 30 years since this unit deployed to Desert Storm. WOW


What a difference a day makes, on Sunday July 14th it was only 59° for my 196th walk of 2024. I am in this journey of change for the long haul. 

I love to capture the flowers I see along my walks!


We enjoyed breakfast at Wanda's Restaurant in Livonia. It's a great local place that takes great care of their customers. Wanda and her crew are always glad to see old friends! Outside the block where the restaurant is located in downtown Livonia is a vibrant mural! 
Livonia's mural is the work of Rochester-based artist Justin Suarez and features a giant eagle. Suarez's creation is one of nine large murals developed during LivCo Walls Mural Festival in 2022.

Today is the northern 
Celebration of Life for Ruthie Nettnin. Ruthie is one of the many Mulvaney kids from this area of New York. They were a big family in this area. Sadly the Ruthie is the second child of the Mulvany's to pass away unexpectedly. Her brother, Dan was the first. She was also the mother of our daughter-in-law, Amy. Both Amy and her sister, Candy, did a great job putting the Celebration of Life together.

What a great idea our daughter-in-law and her sister had after their Mother's passing. Ruthie was an avid jewelry maker. At her Celebration of Life, the girls set out all the jewelry Ruthie had made. They invited everyone there to take a piece or two or three and celebrate Ruthie's love of everyone. Now a little piece or two of Ruthie will be traveling in the RV with us!


71° on Monday morning July 15th for my 197th walk of 2024. It was sunny, a bit hazy and breezy for my 4-mile trek.

We had appointments in Rochester and we got new sneakers on the car while we were up there!

Getting pretty windy here at Camp Cadyville! We pulled the slides in! 
The storm has passed! The high winds took down branches, but no damage to the RV! We are back sitting outside!



July 16th and it's 69° on Tuesday morning for my 198th walk of 2024. It was overcast for my 4-mile adventure. Some more beautiful flowers along Big Tree Street, near the golf course. 


Today's adventure... we had to replace our over the range microwave. Originally it was a microwave convection oven that died a few days ago. I have been doing some research on line and I can get just a microwave for under $200. The convection oven microwave is closer to $700. We replaced it with just the microwave. The best thing about the installation, was the new microwave was much lighter!! Plus, it looks great!


We planned a No BS night with "the gang." From left to right is Sheila, Karen, Royce, Dana and Rob. Sheila, Dawn, Charlie, me and Randy. It was the last time we will see some of these friends during this summer. It was pizza night and I had to have another one of their fantastic pizzas! I had a seltzer too!

Overcast and 71° on Wednesday July 17th for my 199th walk of 2024. There was an occasional breeze. There is always something to see on my 4-mile square.



On an overcast morning, you channel your friend, Sandie LaBonte, and bake Cranberry Bread! The funny thing about baking in the RV, is I left all my recipes at home. I had to search on line for a cranberry bread recipe. I had to hunt, until I found one that did not have the crazy ingredients and spices that I do not have in the RV. I did send my nephew Jake my Mom's Honey Bread recipe, so I could go into my sent texts and found that recipe! Ohhhhh, fun in the RV kitchen!

We love the wildlife we see on the farm! This morning after my walk, this fox ran from the wood line, but stopped for his picture as he passed by! The red foxes are often found in large parks, golf courses, and natural areas. Open, overgrown lots can provide good areas for their dens as well. That makes the area behind Jimmy's place perfect!

Heading into Penfield tonight to meet up with some girls from school. I always try and stop by to see my folks, while I am in Penfield. They are laid to rest at Oakwood Cemetery. In 1887 the cemetery consisted of six acres and by 1960 it had grown to 24 acres. In 2021, the cemetery covers almost 30 acres. A funny story about this special place. At my Mom's funeral in 2011, a friend from high school came to the viewing and mentioned that she talked to my Dad everyday. I thought to myself, she has me confused with someone else. She must have seen the look on my face, because she said she passes by his grave every day and says hello! It's nice to know he had a daily visitor!

Four girls that I went to school with met at Monte Alban Grill in Penfield.  The owners decided to name the restaurant after the most important archaeological site of the state of Oaxaca Mexico, which happens to be Monte Alban. The culinary science of Oaxaca is a mixture of pre-Hispanic and Spanish ingredients that create dishes with colorful cuisine; rich in flavors, aroma and textures.
Karen and Heidi dragged their mothers out to join us! It was great to see them too! It's been a few years since some of us got together and it's been even longer since I have seen Heidi! We grew up together since grade school! It was great seeing these friends! Lifetime friends since elementary/middle school.


A crisp 60° on Thursday July 18th for my 200th walk of 2024. 200, WOW. That is either a commitment or a habit! Maybe a bit of both! I love the farm life sights I see as I walk my oversized block!


We went to the fairgrounds to see the first night of Tractor Pulling. Our friend, Randy Fitzsimmons is the announcer. 
What started out many years ago with farmers bringing their favorite tractors out of the fields to the local fair and hopefully take home bragging rights by pulling the heaviest stone boat the furthest has progressed into the heaviest motor sport in the world!


We watched the Super Farm class. It is considered an entry-level class into sanctioned tractor pulling. This class came on the national scene only five years ago and is now the largest class in sanctioned pulling. These tractors are diesel powered, must retain a stock OEM engine block, cylinder head exhaust and intake manifold. This combination allows a lot of different colors to compete, and you might even see a limited pro tractor hook with the super farms at 8,500 lbs. 


A very crisp 55° on Friday July 19th for my 201st walk of 2024. There is so much to see on my 4-mile square each morning. I am loving all the sights of the roadside flower weeds!

Today, we head to east of Buffalo to Clarence Center to see a couple from our community in Zephyrhills, Marilyn & Tony.

We met Marilyn & Tony at their home in Clarence Center. Marilyn prepared a wonderful lunch. We even had lunchtime visitors as we enjoyed our lunch on their back patio. Marilyn loves these visitors that usually come everyday!

After lunch, we headed into the Buffalo harbor to the Naval & Military Park. It's a historic museum on the shore of Lake Erie
. The Buffalo and Erie County Naval & Military Park is the largest inland Naval Park in the US. Located on Buffalo’s Waterfront, it features four decommissioned Naval vessels: USS The Sullivans, USS Little Rock, USS Croaker, and PTF-17.

The decommissioned Fletcher-class Destroyer, DD-537, was the largest and most important class of US Destroyers used in World War II. Named after the five brothers from Waterloo, Iowa who died together aboard USS Juneau CL-52 in November 1942, USS The Sullivans was the only ship in the Navy to be named after more than one person.

When we came aboard we were greeted by a docent and he gave us some information on the ship. She was commissioned in 1943 and saw action in the Pacific theater, shooting down eight Japanese planes, bombarding Iwo Jima and Okinawa, as well as rescuing American pilots and crew from burning or sinking vessels. She also saw action during the Korean War and the Cuban Missile Crisis. USS The Sullivans was decommissioned in 1965 earning 11 battle stars for meritorious performances.


On board we could see what it was like to serve as a “Tin Can Sailor” along with 310 of your shipmates. We were lucky enough to see some reenactors conduct a battle stations drill. 


Tony talked to the "reporter" that was part of the reenactors. You can't see it in the picture, but her pantyhose even have the seem up the back! 
The ship is also a place for reflection and remembrance for the five Sullivan brothers who died together, an act which is borne out in her motto “We Stick Together!”

The second ship is the 
USS Little Rock CLG 4, a Cold War flagship of the US 2nd and 6th Fleet, is the last surviving vessel from the Cleveland-class of light cruisers in the world. Commissioned in 1945, it was launched too late to see action during WWII. Originally classified as CL 92, USS Little Rock was one of three ships to be converted to a Galveston-class guided missile cruiser and was recommissioned in 1960 as CLG 4. The ship patrolled the Atlantic from the Arctic Circle to South America and was a fixture in the Mediterranean Sea. USS Little Rock arrived in Buffalo for display in 1977 and is the largest vessel at the Buffalo Naval Park.

SSK-246 is on the National Register of Historic Places and represents the U.S. Navy’s “silent service.” One of 77 Gato-class submarines constructed, she was part of the most lethal submarine class of World War II. Commissioned in 1944, she conducted six war patrols in the Pacific theater. She sank 11 Japanese vessels, four of which were capital or military vessels, and seven auxiliary or support vessels.

USS Croaker is not in her original World War II configuration, as she was converted to a “hunter-killer” submarine with added sonar, radar, and quieting capabilities to combat the Russian threat during the Cold War. She was decommissioned in 1971 and brought to the Buffalo Naval & Military Park in 1988. I am not a fan of confined spaces, so we across this vessel and skipped what it would be like to be part of the 80-man crew.


On our way home, we took a tour of the marina. The Buffalo Light is a lighthouse at the mouth of Buffalo River/Erie Canal, directly across from the Erie Basin Marina. The new octagonal tower was constructed of hewn limestone blocks at the end of the pier over a thousand feet east of the original lighthouse. From a base with a twenty-foot diameter, the lighthouse gradually tapers to a diameter of twelve feet at its lantern room. Buffalo Lighthouse, a sloping conical tower, was erected in a mere 221 days. Near the lighthouse, a stone breakwater was extended into the lake to enlarge and protect the city’s harbor. Mother Nature opposed this extension with severe storms, and Buffalonians were often obliged to leave their beds in the middle of the night to repair storm damage to the incomplete pier.



It was a great day with Tony & Marilyn!





A much warmer 64° on Saturday July 20th for my 202nd walk of 2024. It was a good morning of reflection and positive affirmations. 

We went to the 2024 Hemlock Fair for the Saturday Night Demo Derby. It will feel strange to be walking around and not working!


We enjoyed visiting with people at the Horseshoe Bar managed by our friends, Rick & Lynn Swift! They do a great job volunteering for the Fair! The crew of volunteers they have are top notch! Very efficient and friendly too! Personally, I love the free peanuts on the counter!!!


A demolition derby is a motorsport event where drivers intentionally crash their cars into each other. 
Year after year, Hemlock Fair fans have watched local friends and neighbors make the ground tremble and their cars and bodies shake!


It’s a fact – Hemlock fans like the racing, but love the crashes.


You are on the edge of your seat as we unleash the hardest hitting, most feared, free-for-all Demolition Derby this side of insanity!!




Sunday morning July 21st was a late start at 8:15 am, so it was sunny and 71° for my 203rd walk of 2024. It was the perfect morning for positive affirmations and to talk to God.



Monday July 22nd was a muggy 66° at 7 AM for my 204th walk of 2024. It reminded me of summer weather in Florida! But you won't find good looking straw from winter wheat like this! #farmlife 

Charlie got the grass mowed for Jimmy one more time, today. I started some of the baking I am leaving for Jimmy in his freezer. He won't take any money for letting us stay here, so we have to "pay" him in creative ways!


Tuesday morning July 23rd it was 66° at 6:30 AM for my 205th walk of 2024. The overnight rain cut some of the humidity, for now.

We took the RV out today and dumped it, before we head to Donny and Donna's tomorrow. 

We went to Wanda's and enjoyed lunch with Bruce Beardsley. I spent part of the morning and some of the afternoon finishing the baking. I have 10 loaves of breakfast breads that we are leaving in Jimmy's freezer for him. If he can show some restraint and not eat the whole loaf in one sitting, it should last him a while!

Tomorrow we move to Cohocton to Charlie's brother and sister-in-laws house for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment